Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chapter Fifteen - Day Two 7:15 AM


The Pale Rider was still at it.

I knew that when I woke to the shreek of sirens. "Jesus...," I mumbled as I made my way to the shower. I just stood there for awhile, letting the shower massage sting my body awake. "Man, I hate waking up....." Sleep can be so peaceful. If death is nothing but a big sleep, I would be okay with that. But it sure didn't seem like that was the way the system worked, if my friend The Son of Man had anything to do with it. I finally got up enough enthusiasm to wash the film of skin flecks off my body. I have to shower every morning, or I can't function.

I was shaving in the mirror when I heard something. The bathroom fan was whirring. I flicked the switch to "off." Yeah, there was something going on downstairs. i quickly finished up, pulled on a pair of jeans and gingerly made my way down. There was The Lord, lightly playing an acoustic guitar, and humming. He looked up, and said, "Good morning Theodore!"

"Mornin Jesus..." I replied. "What's up?"

"I thought we'd make another video this morning. Are you up for that?"

"Well, I am up, and I don't see any point in saying no." I was not overly enthusiastic.

"Good. There is a camera and tripod in that duffle bag, and some lights. It's all about the lighting, you know. The lighting sets the mood." Apparently, Jesus took film in college, or was at least in the AV club. "You set everything up, and I will make breakfast."

Jesus was whistling, cracking eggs, and cooking up something that smelled very good.

"Hey Jesus, where do you want me to shoot you at?" I querried.

"Put me in the corner, make sure you leave room for the guitar. This is going to be a music video." The Lord instructed.

I set everything up, turning my family room into a small sound stage. I actually liked the whole film thing.

Jesus yelled, "Breakfast is ready!" just as I was finishing putting filters on the lights.

"It smells great!" I said as I sat down.

"Dig in Tedushu!" sayith the One.

I was gobbling up my scrambled eggs, when I notice the pile of eggs shells on the sink countertop. They were small. Very small. "Ummmmm.....Jesus. What, exactly, am I eating here?" I was now curious what I had gulped down so quickly.

"Dove eggs, scrammbled with lamb and goat cheese." the Lord explained.

"Oh!" I said. "It did taste familiar..."

Jesus and I both burst out laughing.

"I figured with all those trips to China, something a little different was in order." The Lord was still laughing.

"Yeah, I ate some weird food there." I was still laughing too.

We finished up our breakfast. Jesus was rinsing plates, and I was loading them in the dishwasher.

The Son of Man put his hands on his hips and said, "There. Now we can get to our video."

"Alrighty, Lord. Let's get crackin. I should go into work today." I really did need to go into the office.

Jesus took his place on the chair in the corner. Now he was dressed in torn up jeans, and a black T-shirt that read, "CASH."

I rigged the mic as a boom, and set the lighting. The sun had moved during our breakfast.

"Okay," I said as I put on the headphones. "Sound check."

Jesus said, "Testing 1....2....3..Test.....Test.."

I set the sound levels, and then moved to the camera. The lighting looked good. The Lord looked good. It was like an MTV Unplugged video. Then I saw something, and popped from behind the camera. "Hey, umm, Jesus. You have some egg in your teeth."

"Oops. Sorry. How undignified of me." as he worked his pinky nail through his teeth. "How's that."

I checked the view finder, and zoomed in as Jesus smiled widely. "Looks good. Ready?"

"Yep. Let's go." The Lord replied.

I said, "Sound........Speed.....J.C. Music Video Take one....Action!"

The Son of Man looked into the camera and said, "Behold a pale horse," began to play the guitar and sing.

"There's a man goin' 'round takin' names
An he's deicidin who to free and who to blame
Everybody won't be treated all the same.."

The King of Kings was signing "When The Man Comes Around," by Johnny Cash

My foot was tapping along.

When he got to, "Whoever is unjust, let he be unjust still." Jesus looked right into the camera, his eyes a burning coal black.

"Whoever is rightous, let him be rightous still.
Whoever is filthy, let him be filthy still.
Listen to the words long written down,
When the man comes around."

I had chills running down my spine. This was going to freak people out, and we were going to get it in one take.

"It's alpha and omega kingdon come."

The Lord finished with,
"In measured hundredweight and penny pound,
When the man comes around."

Then he said, "You can look up the rest" and gently put the guitar down.

I waited a few seconds and said, "Cut. That was perfect, Jesus."

Jesus smiled, got up and moved to the couch. "Ted, I want you to splice in a few frames where I sign, 'Let whoever is filthy, let him be filthy still' with this." He took the remote control for the TV and pressed 'On." The TV was on CNN with the image of the Reverend Joel Graham. His eyes were gone, burned out like so many others. On his forehead was a burn, like a brand. It was the Alpha. Jesus smiled a crooked grin.

Jesus started packing up his video gear.

I askith HE, "Hey Jesus, are you actually enjoying this?"

HE replied, "Enjoy? Let's just say I have wanted to do this for a long time."

"Okay......but, just what are you, we, doing?" I askith.

"You are smart guy, I am betting it will be revealed to you soon." replied HE.

On the TV in the background, the reporter was saying that people were waking up blind again today. The world was now in a full-blown panic. The terror alert had been raised to Red.

Jesus was heading out the door, with his gear, and said, "Get that on YouTube as soon as you can."

I told Jesus, "You can leave that stuff here."

The Lord replied, "Better not. All digital cameras and videos cameras encode a serial number. You don't want to be found with the video gear from a terrorist."

"Good point. Thanks Jesus."

"Thank you Ted. This is a good thing we are doing." and he was out the door.

I wasn't exactly sure what we were doing, but the project manager did. That was enough for me.

After editing the video, I loaded it up to YouTube, using some IP jumping software. Not that I thought it would hide were it came from for too long.

Just long enough.


copyright 2009 Ted Sky all rights reserved

No comments: